8.24.2009

Easy Tiger

On Saturday night I went to see Dan Patlansky, a phenomenal blues guitarist, at Radium Beer Hall. Because of this event, I can now officially say I have witnessed, and to some extent even been involved in a bar fight (meh… it was more like bar tiff, but whatever). The fight ended when a woman splashed schweppe’s tonic water all over a mystery man. Unfortunately, most of the liquid involved in this dramatic gesture ended up showering all over me, a helpless bystander. This sort of reminded me of the time I was at a middle school birthday party at Rainforest Café (a.k.a. the most overwhelming place on earth) and the waiter spilt a full tray of sodas on me. The only difference in these events was that the Rainforest Café manager let me pick out some free swag (Spongebob Square Pants T-Shirt and some classy leopard leggings) to make up for my sugarcoated hair and soaking Oilily outfit, whereas I only got some leftover bread at Radium.

Sunday was even more adventurous. We went to a Lion & Rhino park about an hour outside the city. Here are some of my favorite animal pictures from the day:



Then… I got bit by a tiger (oh snap!). Here are some pictures/ video footage of the bite in action and the scar-bruise blend that now adorns my upper calf:





I think its pretty funny that this happened. As soon as people hear my American accent they usually ask “So… did you think you were going to get attacked by a lion as soon as you stepped off the plane?” To this question I usually give a polite spiel about how not all Americans are ignorant or Bush-era cowboys. Now I can just smile, laugh and explain how that actually did happen, except it was tiger that attacked me, not a lion.

After the game park, we went to a place called Carnivores where we stuffed out faces with some of the animals (ostrich, kudu and crocodile) we had been admiring all day. Mmm, mmm good.

I’ll be done with my two finals on Saturday and am then heading off to Maputo, Mozambique’s capital, with five other girls for some relaxing days on the beach (Spring Break 2009—The Remix!). We’ll be staying at a backpackers lodge called Fatima’s (you can’t have the sweet with no sour). Until I return, cheers!

P.S. Goodbye Teddy... We'll miss you.
This picture reminds me of an awkward middle school dance.

2 comments:

  1. Are you trying to give your parents a heart attack! Ok, now we're hoping you don't get some hoorible infection or disease from that tiger bite! Oh ya, we met a bunch of kids from SA working at Basin Harbor -- guess the drinking age is 18 over there... news to us, although hanging out at beer halls would be a big enough hint. Stay safe and unbitten in Mozambique.

    Love ya. Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Rainforest Cafe story just never gets old...

    ReplyDelete